• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Hiking Boot Suggestions

This is actually of interest to me as well as I'm heading up to the Yukon for 3 months, and was looking to buy some hiking boots before I go.

when i trekked in nepal, i wore Tiva brand. they felt like 4wd feet.

i wish i still had these
tevapl6.jpg

actually, if i had found a pair again a couple of years ago, i think my quitting of jordans may have stuck.

sorry, it's spelt "TEVA"
n1516762134_39322_8332.jpg

and here's a picture of me sitting atop of kalla patthar

and that mirror set up was for the ebay auction. multi angle, one image.

I am currently using a pair of Garmonts, comfy but I find you have to get a size bigger than you are for decent sock room. I normally wear thick socks and find one size bigger is better.

I can't speak highly enough of my Salomons.

Weigh less than a rice bubble and highly water resistant with quality support.

p-440378-F09!SALOM.jpg

440378.jpg

Last edited:
Do you still treat your boots with a water repellent?
Is it suggested? I bought my last pair of boots in the mid 90's!
I wasn't as serious about hiking through the years.

I wore these untreated today and stepped in rushing water that came over the boot....NO SOAKERS! I was psyched!
019jc.jpg

I give mine a light spray once every 6 months.

They should work untreated, but spraying them will prolong the water resistancy of the boot.

I don't know much about Keens but looks a solid shoe.

The reason I went for Salomon Fastracker is because the sole is based off a trail running shoe and they suit my day hikes the best.

For hardcore trekking where your feet take a beating I have a pair of Raichles.

220231.jpg

Impossible for water to get into these bad boys.

I hope I'm not completely off the map, but I hiked over 400 miles in Nepal using plain Tennis Shoes- The Crappy kind of thing you get at Target! I had heavy hiking boots while hiking in the Grand Canyon and they gave me serious blisters. I may be unique but I hope this advice helps!! Walk till you drop! I was born to hike!

I hope I'm not completely off the map, but I hiked over 400 miles in Nepal using plain Tennis Shoes- The Crappy kind of thing you get at Target! I had heavy hiking boots while hiking in the Grand Canyon and they gave me serious blisters. I may be unique but I hope this advice helps!! Walk till you drop! I was born to hike!
That's a good idea and I agree. There is often no need for gourmet boots or shoes.
In warm weather and with a backpack weighing less than 30 or so pounds, I hike 100s of miles in cheap tennis shoes, running shoes, or sandals, even. Sandals are great for hiking on trails and in the desert.
With a heavy backpack (>50 lbs for >week long trips), and hiking across difficult terrain (e.g. fields of baby heads or sharp rocks) I start to need ankle support. I switch to heavy hiking boots and tape up the blisters as they form. Also, I've noticed that boots made of certain materials, like Gortex, never seem to break in and will give you blisters no matter how long you have hiked in them. Also, get high boots if there are a lot of poisonous snakes where you're going.

Last edited: